By Samuel Ajayi
WHEN WILL THE BUCK FINALLY END AT BUHARI’S TABLE?
For every negativism around his beleaguered regime, President Mohammadu Buhari, in the warped thinking of his supporters, is not to blame. There is always an excuse. Check these out:
* Timi Sylva was standing trial for fraud, but he allegedly paid the nomination fee for Buhari.
Defence from Supporters: There was no way the president could have known that the money Sylvia paid was part of the one he stole.
* EFCC returned 48 houses to Sylvia under a regime fighting corruption.
Defence: The president was not aware. Besides, it was the courts that decided. (Why didn’t EFCC appeal as it always does? We may have to find out).
* $5000 was being given to party members each to vote for Buhari at his party’s convention at Teslim Balogun Stadium when it was obvious Atiku might embarrass him.
Defence: The President was sitting at the state box. There was no way he could have known what they were doing on his behalf. Besides, no proof that he authorized the ‘payment’.
* Army Chief Buratai bought houses worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in Dubai.
Defence: The president trusts his appointees and he knows that apart from his military job, Buratai was into snake farming.
* He nominated Magu, the DSS wrote a scathing report against him to the Senate. An unprecedented embarrassment in the history of Nigeria’s presidency.
Defence: The President was not aware of the report. In fact, he did not intervene, even if he was aware, to allow those guys do heir jobs.
* Abba Kyari collected N500m bribe from MTN to reduce their fine.
Defence: No appointee of the President would do that. Besides, he was not even aware of the MTN issue.
* The panel on Babachir “Grasscutter” Lawal submitted its report months ago and mum is the word from Buhari since then.
Defence: The president is very meticulous. It is lengthy report so let’s give him time to read it thoroughly.
* Baru bypassed Kachikwu and awarded contracts of over $26b in NNPC and Buhari is the minister of petroleum and Baru said he took directive from Buhari.
Defence: The president could not have been the one who gave the directive. Besides, let us give him (Buhari) time to investigate.
* National Security Adviser and DG of DSS are reportedly not on speaking terms.
Defence: Buhari is not aware. Besides, it does not concern him as long as the job is done(?).
* Malami (AGF), Dambazau and Head of Service all worked to reinstate Maina. They should be sacked.
Defence: The President was not aware and besides, he does not have to sack anyone. He will set up a committee to investigate.
The question is this: WHEN WILL THE BUCK FINALLY END AT BUHARI’S TABLE?